“Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.” Ephesians 6:11
The devil is sly. He knows my weaknesses and he likes to zero in on those and just continue to torment me in those areas. Do you find yourself in my shoes? I Peter 5:8 tells us to “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.” He is constantly on the prowl. We not only need to be aware of this, but we need to be equipped to fight him.
Remember yesterday we talked about how our battles are spiritual. Since they are spiritual, we must equip ourselves spiritually. There are some very key things to know here when seeking the correct armor to fight our spiritual battles. Ephesians 6 goes on to tell us more specifically what that armor consists of.
1) Helmet of Salvation — If we are not saved, we have already lost the battle. Salvation provides the strength that cannot be found in our human flesh and nature. Romans 1:16 “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.”
2) Breastplate of Righteousness — Dr. Bob Jones, Sr. used to say, “Do right til the stars fall.” We must always strive, in everything that we do and say, to do right. I John 3:7 “Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous.” If we are God’s, we must do right, my friend!
3) Loins girt about with Truth — Truthfulness is a very valuable character trait. It is becoming more and more rare, even in our churches and in our pulpits. Being able to speak the truth at all times comes with maturity. Listen to what Paul tells us in Ephesians 4:14-15 “That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ.”
4) Sword of the Spirit — A sword is much more effective when fighting than our hands. Can you imagine going to a fight against another sword with your bare hands? That is not a pleasant sight, is it? We need a sword! God has given us His Word as our sword. Let us not neglect to pick it up, sharpen our skills with it, and fight against the devil and his foes! Hebrews 4:12 “For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”
5) Shield of Faith — May we not leave behind our shield … our faith. Hebrews 11:6 “But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.” May your faith stay strong during the heat of the battle!
6) Feet shod with Peace — John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you …” May we not only go forth with peace but may our words and our actions bring peace. I know it says feet in this verse, but my mind cannot help going to the tongue. Proverbs 15:1 “A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.” May we speak peace today!